Monday, January 26, 2009

Welcome To Sony Tech Support... How Much Would You Like To Wager?

I was fixing a friend's Sony VAIO desktop PC today, and I had cause to use Sony's online chat feature for customer support. Here's the transcript:

Problem: "My PCV-RS710G has a built-in SD card reader, but it won't read an 8GB SD card. Does the SD card reader have a size limitation?"

user Dr. F has entered room

analyst Jimmy_ has entered room

Jimmy_> Hi. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Jimmy. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Dr. F> The 8GB SD card is formatted as FAT32, and I can read the card using an external USB SD card reader.

Jimmy_> Thanks for waiting. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing. I'll be happy to assist you with the compatibility of the Memory card.

Jimmy_> May I know the exact type and specification of the SD card you're using with the Computer?

Dr. F> I think it's a Sandisk 8.0 GB SD card.

Dr. F> It was pe-fomatted as FAT32

Jimmy_> Thanks for the information.

Jimmy_> Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.

Jimmy_> Thanks for waiting.

Jimmy_> As per the information published online, the inbuilt memory card slot shipped with the Computer can support maximum of 2GB SD card only and does not support 8 GB SD(HC)card.

Dr. F> That explains it. Thanks for the help, Jimmy!

Jimmy_> You may connect an external SD memory card slot using the USB port to access the SD cards over 2 GB.

Jimmy_> You're most welcome.

Jimmy_> Is there anything else I may assist you with today? I'll be glad to do so.

Dr. F> Why? Are you bored?

Dr. F> I could use some help picking a winner for the Super Bowl

Dr. F> The Steelers are favored by 7

Jimmy_> :)

Jimmy_> I'm glad to assist you with any technical information with your VAIO.

Dr. F> Fair enough. Defense wins championships. I'm going with my gut. Steelers!

Dr. F> l8r

1 comment:

Agent45 said...

From what little I know about Sony's tech support team, it's probable that Jimmy_ is based in the Philippines. So, you may have gotten better results if you asked about some upcoming boxing match since that is a much more popular sport there than football. That said, Jimmy_'s opinion on the Super Bowl would probably still be more valuable than say...Jay Novacek.